- HARANGUE Dictionary lookup
(verb): To deliver a long. noisy speech- harangued the multitude.
Synonyms: rant, declaim
- HARBINGER Dictionary lookup
, A forerunner; ail announcer - the robin, harbinger of spring.
- HAUGHTY Dictionary lookup
: Proud; looking down with contempt on others - dismissed the messenger in a haughty manner.
279. HEEDLESS: Thoughtless; taking little care - rushed into battle, heedless of the danger.
Synonyms: inadvertent, rash, incautious
Antonyms: prudent, circumspect, mindful, wary
- HEINOUS Dictionary lookup
: Wicked; hateful - committed a heinous crime.
Synonyms: atrocious, outrageous, monstrous, odious, nefarious, abominable
- HERESY Dictionary lookup
: An opinion held in opposition to the traditional view - a view condemned as heresy.
- HIATUS Dictionary lookup
: A gap or vacancy; break -left a hiatus on the page where he erased a sentence.
- HISTRIONIC Dictionary lookup
: Pertaining to the theater; designed for show - broke into histrionic laughter, hollow and insincere.
Synonyms: dramatic, theatrical
- HOAX Dictionary lookup
(noun): A trick or deception; a practical joke - played a hoax upon the credulous public.
- HOMONYM Dictionary lookup
: Two words having the same sound but different meanings - confusing such homonyms as mail add male.
286. HOVEL: A dirty or wretched dwelling - born in a hovel, died in a mansion.
287. HYPERBOLE: Extravagant exaggeration for effect - An example of hyperbole: "There are a million objections to the project."
- HYPOTHESIS Dictionary lookup
: An assumption made for the sake of argument - worked from a fantastic hypothesis.