- BANAL Dictionary lookup
: Lacking in freshness, originality, or vigor-bored by his banal remarks.
Synonyms:commonplace, hackneyed, prosaic, trite, stereotyped, vapid
Antonyms:racy, original, vivid
- BANEFUL Dictionary lookup
(noun: BANE: poison; source of harm): Destructive, poisonous - a baneful effect, causing serious injury.
Synonyms: deleterious, pernicious, virulent, noxious, toxic
- BANTER Dictionary lookup
: Good-natured teasing or ridicule-The two wits I exchanged banter, to the amusement of the audience.
- BELLICOSE Dictionary lookup
; Inclined to quarrel; warlike - His bellicose attitude often got John into fights.
Synonyms: pugnacious, contentious, disputatious
Antonyms: pacific, conciliatory
- BELLIGERENT Dictionary lookup
: Engaged in war - two belligerent nations warring fiercely.
70. BENEVOLENT: Kindly; charitable - like a benevolent monarch, bestowing many favors.
Synonyms: benign, benignant, gracious, magnanimous
Antonyms: malevolent, malignant
- BIASED Dictionary lookup
: Prejudiced - misled by a biased point of view.
Synonyms:bigoted, arbitrary, partial, partisan
- BIBLIOPHILE Dictionary lookup
: A lover of books - The bibliophile fingered the old book fondly.
- BIZARRE Dictionary lookup
: Queer; unusual in appearance- bizarre clothes, outlandish in the extreme.
Synonyms:odd, fantastic, grotesque, eccentric
- BLAND Dictionary lookup
: Gentle; polite; agreeable - a bland diet, without irritating foods.
Synonyms: mild, suave (affable or persuasive in manner), soothing, non-irritating
- BLANDISHMENT Dictionary lookup
: A flattering speech or act - attracted people by his blandishments.
78. BLEMISH (verb): To scar or spoil - Bad associates blemished his character
(noun): A disfigurement, defect - a character without a blemish.
79. BLIGHT: To ruin or decay - the rotting wheat-, blighted by incessant rain.
- BLITHE Dictionary lookup
: Gay and light-hearted in spirit or mood - spread cheer with her blithe spirit.
Synonyms: jocund, merry, joyous
Antonyms: dejected, forlorn, abject
- BOG Dictionary lookup
: A swamp - sank into the spongy bog.
Synonyms: morass, fen, quagmire, mire
- BOMBASTIC Dictionary lookup
(noun: BOMBAST): High-sounding; pretentious in language - a bombastic speech, inflated with meaningless high-flown words.
Synonyms: ranting, pompous, fustian
- BOORISH Dictionary lookup
: Unrefined in speech or manners - exhibited the boorish manners of a backwoodsman.
Synonyms:churlish, uncouth. uncultured, crass
- BUCOLIC Dictionary lookup
: Pertaining to the country - a bucolic poem de- the joys of the shepherd.
Synonyms:pastoral, rustic, rural
- BUFFOON Dictionary lookup
: A clown - acting like a buffoon, full of ludicrous tricks.
- BULWARK Dictionary lookup
- An embankment used as a fortification - a lofty bulwark for defense.
- A person, idea, or object serving as a protection - acted as a bulwark in the fight against crime.
87. BUMPTIOUS: Obnoxiously conceited or self-assertive - a bumptious monitor, puffed up with his own importance,
Synonyms: aggressive, arrogant, contumelious, overbearing